Welcome to:

Welcome to:
2102 8th Street Lewiston, ID 83501 Phone: (208) 799-0851 Church Services are Sundays 9:09 and 11:11am

Monday, April 2, 2007

Smooth Move, Exlax!

by Brad Bramlet

Whatever failures I have known, whatever errors I have committed, whatever follies I have witnessed…they have been the consequence of action without thought.
I was on the treadmill at the local gym. With Garth Brooks in my Walkman, I was doing my best to ignore the protest my muscles were staging against my current choice of activity. The music was a nice distraction from the pain until the tape needed to be turned over. What happened next I cannot explain, probably because I have tried to block the whole incident from my conscious mind. Why I stopped running on the treadmill, to this day, is a mystery to me. Obviously I can’t multitask.
Yes, I stopped running and the treadmill did not. Just like Exlax through a colon, I was shot from the back end of that machine. Then, with cat-like reflexes, I got up and jumped right back onto that mechanical “black stallion.”
When I gathered the courage to look into the mirrors that surrounded the gym, I realized that while I had been thrown to the ground, the three ladies on stationary bicycles had been thrown into hysterics. One had fallen off her bike from laughter, the other laughed so hard she was crying and the third, I found out later, had to have hernia surgery from literally “busting a gut.”
We all fall. We all make mistakes. We all sin. The difference between a failure and an over comer is what we do next. A failure stays down and pushes play on the negative talk cycle. “Poor me…I just can’t…no use in trying…I give up.” An over comer quickly gets back up, dusts themselves off and starts again. This is the observable behavior of a mature believer in Christ.
The failure sits in a puddle of condemnation and self-absorption. He doesn’t understand God’s love and forgiveness. If Satan, your enemy, can keep you focused on your past failures, he’s got you. You’re done.
The over comer self-evaluates. He asks, “What did I do wrong? How could I have done things differently?” He asks God for feedback which often comes from the Bible or a group of trusted friends. Then he acts on it. He corrects his mistakes and goes again.
Here’s the truth. You have two choices. When you fall, and we all do, you can give up and stay down or you can look up, learn from your failures and keep on going.
So, if you see me at the gym, don’t distract me. It’s a fact—I can’t multitask. But know this…if I fall off again, I will get back up.

8 comments:

Ketura25 said...

Brad,

I just wanted to tell you what an awesome person I think you are. I'm so thankful to have a pastor like you to help me and my children in our walk with the Lord. You give so much praise to everyone around you and I think you deserve alot too. God Bless!

Kit Cloke

fizzymuffin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheBlog said...

Brad,

Repent. I've seen some pathetic stuff in my time but this page of yours stretches the boundaries of the definition of pathetic.
"Smooth Move, Exlax!" aw come on give me a break.This is the kind of stuff we said to each other on the school bus 35 years ago....
Do you get your theology from Garth too?
If this is the best you have to offer people in these last days, don't your time.
You may be culturally relevant, but you're also spiritually stunted.

Kammy said...

Brad,
That's what was so great about it! I personally loved "Smooth Move ExLax" .. Reminded me of the old days and caught my attention immediately. PLUS the story KEPT it! I think it's great and do not let others discourage you from WHO you are and what you say or write. Like my mother used to say, "If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all!" This person, didn't have the gutts to even sign their comment. Too embarrassed, apparently. We'll pray for them!
Kammy

mommamia said...

Brad,

Gods timing is perfect, as I needed this story/message today. Yesterday I fell further than I've fallen in the past to months. This is a good message about getting up and dusting myself off and starting over. I am learning that the only failure is when you decide to stay knocked down. This is a possiton I know all to well. It's time I take the stand and start again. Thanks and keep up the God work, pastor.

Maria Mangum

Dr. Sandra Lotstein said...

You can't reach all of the people all of the time, but if just one person hears and makes it useful, it is worth it.

mashley1121 said...

This story reminds me of a song:
"We fall down, we get up. We fall down, we get up. We fall down, we get up. The saints are all sinners who fell down and got up...."
Thank you for sharing God's heart.

1merrie1 said...

Brad, I'm at a point in my life where if I don't now. I might never get back up. Thanks for the encouragement. I was thinking of friends from the past and you name popped into my head, so I looked you up on facebook and found this.

Your old friend Mark Stoke